Friday, April 6, 2012

Day 6- Finding "Your thing"

Sorry about Day 5, I got a migraine and after it left I felt too numb to get my brain in enough working order to write complete sentences that people could actually understand. So here is day 6! :)

Day 6

So, what do I mean by your thing? Well, as special needs parents we often don't get a lot of opportunities for "breaks".  I know myself personally, would sell my left arm (I'm right handed) for a week long vacation to an all inclusive resort where the only thing expected of me was to lounge in a pool with a swim up bar. I've never been to a place like this, but I hear they exist. I've never left the country, ever. I rarely travel outside of my state, unless it is to visit family in a state that borders mine. My life is boring in the traveling sense. Honestly because the idea of traveling with special needs children in exhausting, not to mention we just don't have the means to do it. So I am forced to find my happy place right here in my own home. 

What makes me happy? Music. Specifically? Country music. More specific? Country music the way it was meant to be heard, not this Taylor, who put all this pop in my country, Swift. Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, Merle Haggard, George Straight, Miranda Lambert. And I sing, a song here, a song there, I sing a little all day long, if I really need to de-stress I can turn on my playlist and have my moment of zen. My real therapy comes from performing on stage. Which I don't get to do often since I got out of doing it when I had kids. Slowly but surely however, I'm getting back into it. Boy, does it feel good too. Ironically enough my Aspie girl LOATHES when I sing. You'd think it was nails on a chalk board to that child. She can't stand country music and it breaks my heart. She likes Taylor Swift, go figure, Lady Gaga, hey I can get down with her every now and then, but thankfully we've found some common ground in Adele. THANK YOU ADELE!!!

Where I'm going with all this is, if you can't get out every now and then for a date night, a coffee date with a friend, something to get your mind off the day to day of dealing with all that is we deal with you need to find SOMETHING that makes you feel like you. And I'll admit. Music isn't the end all cure all for me. But it is the one thing I can call mine. Some it is scrap booking, some knitting, some Farmville, some barrettes ;) So do me a favor. If you don't have "Your Thing" find it. Everyone needs something they can claim as their own.

***And BTW before I get hate mail about Taylor Swift. I think she is a fine young woman who writes her own songs and sings. However, I do NOT believe she belongs on country radio. Thank you very much :)




No comments:

Post a Comment